You can sooth a burdensome cough with a homemade concoction of pineapple juice and honey for an effective and palatable alternative to over-the-counter cough suppressants. This type of natural remedy has been used for generations by the Amish and other sectors as an alternative to today’s synthetic syrups. Pineapples contain bromelain, an enzyme with anti-inflammatory properties, which fights infections and kills bacteria.
The juice from fresh pineapples can suppress the physical symptoms you might experience from a cough 5 times more effectively than cough syrup, while providing additional nutritional support. Let’s take a closer look at how (and why) you should be trying it the next time you’re hit by a stubborn cough. As with trying any home remedy, you should consult your physician first.
Using Pineapple Juice for Cough
In the recent years, scientists have found that a mixture of pineapple juice, honey, salt and pepper can be up to 5 times more effective at dealing with cough as opposed to OTC medications and prescribed cough syrups. A study found that raw extracts from pineapple could decrease mucus five times faster than over-the-counter cough syrups. Patients recovered 4.8 times faster and exhibited a decrease in all symptoms related to coughing, especially hacking.
In fact, another study has found that the use of this mixture can also be helpful in dissolving the mucus in patients affected by tuberculosis. Drinking pineapple juice helps soothe a sore throat and aids the body to expel mucous easily. Thick and stubborn mucus in your lungs or sinuses can cause seemingly endless spasms of coughing, sneezing and painful infections.
DIY Pineapple Juice Cough Syrup
Into DIY home remedies? This pineapple juice remedy is just what you need to try to tackle cough.
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple juice;
- 1/4 cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice;
- 1 piece of ginger;
- 1 tablespoon of raw, organic honey;
- A pinch of salt;
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional).
Just combine all of these together in a blender, blend for a minute or two, and you’re done! Take 1/4 cup, 2-3 x/day and repeat recipe daily.
If you have one of many types of persistent coughs and it’s not something more serious like pneumonia, reach for pineapple juice instead of cough syrup. It’s less expensive, has no toxic chemicals and contains the nutrients that will help fight a cold.
Other Benefits of Using Pineapple Juice for Cough
Apart from doing the obvious, pineapple juice also provides a ton of other added benefits associated with its consumption:
- The juice can prove to be an excellent natural source of vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese and magnesium- vitamins and minerals that are essential for the body;
- It also contains a powerful enzyme known as bromelain which stimulates the breakdown of proteins and reduces inflammation in the body;
- The vitamin C content of pineapple (and pineapple juice) is what makes it an excellent natural immune booster;
- Pineapple also packs in a ton of other traces minerals required by the body- copper, calcium, beta carotene, folate, potassium, B6 and thiamine.
Latest posts by Melissa Bell (see all)
- Important tips that will help you to avoid catching the family cold - February 22, 2019
- Germs in the Gym - January 23, 2019
- Am I Addicted? Signs You Need to Help - November 21, 2018