Cancer is the leading killer disease on the planet. But the good news is, many types of cancer are preventable. For instance, adopting a healthy lifestyle significantly reduces your risk for certain cancers. Unfortunately, some risk factors like age and family history are beyond your control. However, there’s a lot you can do to protect yourself.
Take charge of your health by making these lifestyle changes.
Do you smoke bhang or cigarette? Then quit the habit. Smoking is the leading risk factor for lung cancer. Further, it contributes to other cancers like throat, mouth, bladder, or cervical cancer.
The risk factors for many cancers are cut in half five years after quitting the habit. So, why not quit the habit now. Consult Medical Center on the best ways to quit the habit. To learn more, contact https://www.healthmint.com.au/.
Physical activity reduces your risk for breast and colon cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, adults should get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity every week. Teenagers and children should get an hour of moderate-intensity activity each week.
But what’s moderate-intensity activity? It includes things like doing yoga, walking, playing golf, or mowing your lawn. Physical activity helps you maintain a normal and healthy body weight.
Lose the Excess Weight
Being overweight is among the main risk factors for colon, breast, uterine, kidney, and esophageal cancers. Ovarian and pancreatic cancers are also linked to excess weight. Therefore, being overweight by any amount increases your cancer. Lose that excess weight now.
The food you eat greatly affects your health. For instance, it affects your risks of contracting chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. According to several studies, the development of cancer is affected by the food you eat. So, why not eat foods containing beneficial compounds to decrease the growth or lower the risk of the disease?
Here are the best foods to lower the risk of getting cancer.
- Broccoli: It contains sulforaphane, a compound with potent anticancer properties
- Carrots: Some studies show an association between consumption of carrots with a decreased risk of lung, stomach, and prostate cancer.
- Beans: Eating cooked, dried beans reduces your risk for colorectal tumors
- Berries: It contains anthocyanin pigments, rich in antioxidant properties which lower the risk of cancer.
- Cinnamon: Taking cinnamon extracts decreases the spread of cancer cells and induces their death.
- Nuts: Eating nuts decreases your risk for colorectal, endometrial, and pancreatic cancer. For instance, Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, a compound that protects against lung cancer.
- Turmeric: Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric has anticancer traits.
- Citrus fruits: These include limes, lemons, oranges, and grapefruits reduce the risk of digestive and upper respiratory tract cancers.
- Tomatoes: Lycopene, the compound responsible for the vibrant red color in tomatoes has anticancer properties
- Garlic: Allicin, the active compound in garlic has the potential to kill cancer cells.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle helps reduce the risk of cancer. But that’s not all, you have to maintain routine medical care to lower your cancer risk. Visit healthmint.com.au for quality healthcare services.
- Easy Eating – 5 Tips For Saving Time (And Stress) In The Kitchen - June 16, 2021
- 5 Ways to Elevate Your Sleep Experience - June 11, 2021
- Are Protein Shakes Only for Bodybuilders? Think Again - June 9, 2021