How to get a bigger butt? Which exercises should I do for a bigger booty and a shapely butt? We receive at least a dozen similar questions each month. Read on as we guide you to the only big butt workout you’ll ever need.
While a big butt may not unlock the mysteries of the universe, many women and even man long for shapely and attractive buttocks. In today’s social media oriented society there can be pressure, especially for women, to have a butt that is well formed and reaching for the sky. After all, there are thousands of Instagramers with butts some might describe as gravity defying (cough… Jen Selter, cough…) and it can seem hard to compete with that.
It’s even less fair that most women have to work for a living and don’t have the time to be in a gym 7 days per week just to work on shaping their booty.
Bigger Buns for All
Well, it’s time we corrected that. With a bit of knowledge of the human anatomy and some clever exercises you can also have a butt to be proud off. The best part is it will only take you 15-20 minutes, 2 or 3 times a week.
The booty consist mainly of the glutes (the all-important butt muscle) and to a lesser extent the hamstrings and lower back muscles. For a nicely shaped butt like the one in the picture, you’ll need to work on all of these muscles. It can look a little weird when someone has a booty out of nowhere and no hamstrings or lower back muscles to speak off. It would look sort of like a lollipop and appear to be fake (in most cases, it is fake).
How to Get a Bigger Butt
The secret to all big butt workouts is the position of your legs – you must keep a vertical shin. What we mean by that is that your knee and your shin should form a 90 degrees angle during the exercise. This angle puts all the emphasis on the glutes with the lower back muscles and the hamstrings helping out. You are basically taking your thighs out of the equation.
When the angle of your knee becomes less than 90 degrees, the thighs take over. This is why you feel tension on your thighs at the bottom of the movement of squats – the angle becomes less than 90°.
What works best for this position are wide stances and single leg work. Great butt workouts are sumo deadlifts, split squats, especially with the back leg on a bench (Bulgarian split squat) and lunges.
Since you are working for a bigger booty, the ideal rep range is in the 8-12 area, depending on the exercise. Once the workout becomes too easy, instead of increasing reps think about adding weights.
This can be all the workout you’ll ever need if your only aim is a bigger and well-formed butt, or you can just add it to the routine you are already doing.
Just remember that form is everything and even slight change in the angle could result in a shift in muscle emphasis and a butt less attractive than it could be.
Big Butt Workouts
- Glute Bridges – 3 sets of 10-12 reps;
- Donkey Kicks – 3 sets of 10-12 reps;
- Sumo Deadlifts – 4 sets of 8-10 reps;
- Bulgarian Split Squats – 3 sets of 10-12 reps;
- Walking Lunges – 10 minutes.
By doing these big butt workouts 2–3 times a week you’ll have a firm and shapely ass that reaches for the sky in no time.
How to Perform the Exercises (Instructions & Videos)
Stay with us as we take you through each exercise with instructions and videos. Enjoy!
How to Perform Glute Bridges
1. Lie on your back, with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Keep your arms at your side with your palms down;
2. Start lifting your hips off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line. Squeeze your glutes hard to feel the tension there while making sure you keep your abs drawn in so you don’t overextend your back;
3. Hold your bridged position for a couple of seconds while still squeezing the hips before easing back down and repeating.
How to Perform Donkey Kicks
1. Get on all fours on an exercise mat, with your hands under the shoulders and the knees under the hips;
2. Now, keeping the right knee bent at 90 degrees (as we discussed), flex your right foot and lift your knee to hip level so that your foot is parallel to the ceiling, all the while squeezing your hips;
3. Lower knee without touching floor and lift again, completing 10-12 reps;
4. Switch legs and repeat.
How to Perform Sumo Deadlifts
Ahh, Sumo Deadlifts, the foundation of any big butt workout. While most people will use a barbell, beginners can start without weights. Once it becomes easy just grab a single dumbbell and after that becomes easy continue with the barbell.
1. Start with your feet about twice shoulder-width apart, your toes pointed out at an angle, and a barbell at your feet rolled up against your shins.
2. Without rounding your lower back, bend your knees and grab the barbell with both hands.
3. In one movement, press through your heels, thrust your hips forward, and stand up quickly but without losing form. Pause, and then reverse the motion by pushing your hips back and returning to the starting position.
4. Finish your sets and reps goal.
How to Perform Bulgarian Split Squats
1. Stand lunge-length in front of a bench or a chair with the top of your left foot resting on it behind you. After the exercise becomes easy you can add a dumbbell in each hand;
2. Lower your body until your rear knee nearly touches the floor and your front thigh is parallel to the floor (1).
How to Perform Walking Lunges
1. Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands on your hips, or holding dumbbells when the exercise becomes easy;
2. Step forward with one leg, flexing the knees to drop your hips. Descend until your rear knee nearly touches the ground. Your posture should remain upright, and your front knee should never advance beyond your toes. Try to keep that 90 degrees angle we talked about.
3. Now drive through the heel of your lead foot and extend both knees to raise yourself back up;
4. Step forward with your rear foot, repeating the lunge on the opposite leg;
5. Try to keep going for 10 minutes.
Note: you only need the first part of the exercise, the lunges.
The Big Butt Workout Plan
Latest posts by Melissa Bell (see all)
- How Medicare is Changing: What You Need to Know - June 25, 2019
- 10 Factors That Can Cause Infertility in Women - June 20, 2019
- Hair Loss In Men – Male Pattern Baldness and How You Can Control It - June 19, 2019