11. Plank Rows (Renegade Rows)
- Get in a push-up plank with dumbbells;
- Keep the core tight as you row the weight up to the outside of your chest, elbow being pulled straight up.
12. Plank Lateral Jumps
- Start on elbows or top of a push-up, whichever suits you;
- Squeeze your legs together and jump feet from side to side;
- If you have a stepper, you can use it to jump over.
13. Plank Thrusters
- Push-up start position;
- Keep your shoulders in line above hands;
- Jump your feet forward between your hands and back out to a tight plank.
14. One-Leg Plank
- Starting from the classic plank, lift one leg off the ground;
- Hold for a count and lower to repeat on the other side.
15. One-Arm Plank
- From the classic plank, lift one arm off the ground;
- Have it extended alongside of the body;
- Repeat for the other arm.
16. Bird Dog Plank
- A combination of both #15 and #16;
- Keep the hips square and have your eyes fixed on something for balance.
17. Wall Plank
- Place the hands on the ground, and slowly walk your feet up a wall;
- Stop once your body is completely straight from shoulders to walls.
18. Plank Hip Twisters
- Start in the classic position and rotate your hips;
- Tap a hip on the ground along your center line;
- Return to plank start and repeat other side.
19. Stability Ball Plank
- Place your elbows on a stability ball and make sure they are directly under your shoulders;
- Push through your shoulders to maintain proper former.
20. Plank Leg Raises
- A variation of the 1-legged plank;
- Start in the classic plank and keep your leg straight and foot flexed as you lift it off the ground;
- Lower it to tap your toe and quickly pull it back up;
- Complete all reps on one side before switching to the next.
Read more on the next page.
Melissa Bell has a strong background in nutrition education, fitness and yoga, and experience working on specialized stretching, bodybuilding and weight loss programs. She is actively studying Japanese, doing research and travelling for conferences while taking care of two children.