Description: Many people relate collagen to skin care ever since it broke the Internet, especially on health conversations. So, what should people be informed about these collagen supplements? What impact do they have on your body? And how can you consume them?
Did you know that collagen originated from the Greek word Kolla, which means glue? It has a triple spiral molecular formula that combines with multiple other molecules to form a network that comprises almost a third of the total protein content in the body (where its glue properties come in) – that’s a great deal. There are three amino acids in collagen (proline, hydroxyproline, and glycine) responsible for building muscles, ligaments, bones, tendons, and skin. It is also present in multiple other body parts such as teeth, blood vessels, and eye corneas. With such significance in your body, it will be best to include collagen supplements in your diet since it’s among the best nitric oxide supplements.
The primary concern for many individuals who want to move forward and start taking these additions is: Are collagen supplements safe? It’s of your best interest to do a little research and know which approach to take when it comes to this issue. There are different types of supplements, and each has a method of using it. Below are the options;
- Type 1 – it’s the most common type and its responsible for the skin department;
- Type 2 – mainly found in cartilages, this is best for joint health;
- Type 3 – also part of the skin health, although more of the elasticity factor;
- Type 5 – these supplements benefits pregnant mothers to develop healthy placenta in their gestation period;
- Type 10 – will be of best use for bone health, particularly the cartilages.
These are only but the common types of supplements, but there are others. The manufacturers of these supplements hydrolyze the collagen to enable the user to absorb it quickly.
The Need for Supplements
As you age, the collagen in your body will begin to degrade, which will force you to find means to supplement your body with this particular requirement. The other situation that will lead you into getting supplements is if you have specific genetic conditions that’ll make you lose collagen quickly. Additional factors include a flawed diet plan and lifestyle habits and environmental factors, e.g., pollution.
How to Boost Your Collagen Composition
There are five scientifically proven ways of increasing the production in your body;
- Use of topicals such as retinol to assist in restoring collagen stores;
- Opting for procedures like ultrasound, lasers, micro-needling, radiofrequency, and fillers;
- Including protein-dense foods, copper, Vit C, and zinc in your diet;
- Wear sunscreen and try skin massage;
- Take on supplements.
There are habits that you need to stop to keep your college in check. The following are practices that damage your collagen.
- Exposing yourself to too much sunlight;
- Consuming lots of refined cards and lots of sugar;
The Best Collagen Supplements
Collagen supplements are either in powder form, capsules or tablets, and among the go-to selections when sourcing for supplements, in no particular order, are:
- Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides;
- Reserveage Nutrition Ultra Collagen Booster;
- Garden of Life Collagen Beauty Strawberry Lemonade;
- Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Collagen – Pure;
- Mercola Organic Collagen from Grass-Fed Beef Bone Broth;
- Nordic Naturals Marine Collagen Powder;
- NeoCell Super Collagen Type 1 & 3 Powder.
The Benefits of Taking Supplements
It’s undoubtedly essential to have your collagen levels high and also of good quality. If you choose to partake supplements, what impact will they have on you?
Improves Your Skin Health
Taking collagen supplements for skin will help you better the overall condition of your skin. As mentioned earlier, type 3 and 1 will be of great help to your skin. The kind of results expected includes skin hydration, gaining elasticity, and slowing the aging process by clearing wrinkles.
Possible Solution for Bone Loss
Do collagen supplements work? Definitely! To prevent conditions such as osteoporosis, which is characterized by low bone density, boosting your collagen levels is essential. Type 10 will maintain your bone structure and strengthen them to prevent any fractures.
Improves Your Heart Health
Since it’s present in all blood vessels, it’ll be significant to increase their levels to promote steady blood circulation for a perfect heart condition.
Assist in Taking Away Pain in Joints
Consuming collagen supplements for joints, particularly type 2, will keep your cartilage quality intact so that these rubber-like tissues will guarantee your joints proper protection. It’s ideal for aging adults and athletes.
Might Boost Your Muscle Mass
As mentioned at the beginning of the article, about 1/3 of the body’s muscles are pure collagen. Taking the supplements will increase the levels, contributing to muscle growth and eventually increasing muscle mass.
Although there is no science backing up these claims, some users of these supplements have noticed the following changes:
- Improvement in the gut by treating intestinal permeability;
- Increase in metabolism that promotes weight loss;
- Boosting the growth and quality of the hair and nails;
- Promoting brain health by eradicating anxiety symptoms and bettering your mood.
Application of Collagen
Collagen has found its way in different fields, and the following are the different applications
- Used in cosmetic surgery to treat burns, orthopedic, and dental surgery procedures;
- Collagen comes in handy in cardiac applications, especially in testing the cardiac stress levels;
- The strength in its molecule makes it a perfect fit in bone grafting;
- They are for the regeneration of tissues, e.g., permeability, pore structure, and the pore structure;
- Used in wound healing.
Although these conditions are rare, certain defects may occur when you lack a particular type of collagen. The following are some of the disorders:
- Lack of Type 1 causes Osteogenesis imperfecta and Caffey’s disease;
- Lack of Type 2 causes Collagenopathy;
- Lack of Types 3 causes Ehlers–Danlos syndrome and Dupuytren’s contracture;
- Lack of Type 4 causes Alport syndrome and Goodpasture’s syndrome.
Possible Side Effects
There should be no significant concern for the people who take collagen supplements. The only way the drugs can affect you is to have an allergy to the other contents included in the package. It would be best if you were considerate about the supplement you take and read the content inside to prevent any such cases. Mild instances of digestion such as heartburn and bloats might occur.
How long does it take for collagen supplements to show results? The time varies from 8 – 12 weeks for the skin, 70 days – 24 weeks for joints, 12 months for bones, 12 weeks for muscle mass, and six months for heart health. It is essential to supplement your body with collagen to acquire multiple collagen supplement benefits.
Have you used collagen supplements before? What was the reason behind that? Leave a comment.
Rachel Burns has been writing on topics related to fitness and healthy eating for 2 years now. As a mother, she really appreciates the ease of raising children with her advice. Rachel specializes in plant-based diets. In addition to nutrition, she is also an exercise enthusiast.